Friday 11 February 2011

Sometimes I'm suprised

As an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormon) I sometimes come across others of my faith in unusual places.

For example, if you think of Mormons in music, you may come up with "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir" but as polished and proficient as they are, they are not on every church members ipod !
You may think that the most current you can get is "The Osmonds" clean cut and straight laced, well you would be wrong..............

Not so long ago, a band called The Killers had a big hit with "Human" and although the lead singer Brandon Flowers has a "rock star" lifestyle, he wasn't shy in admitting he had a Mormon background, openly sharing that he struggled to live his faith to the full.

Brandon Flowers (lead singer of The Killers)


Tonight on TV, I was watching a music channel and saw a band called the Neon Trees who come from Utah. Now not all residents of Utah are Mormons but there has to be a good chance. So I did some internet research and discovered this Rock Band are indeed LDS, including the Mohawk sporting Lead singer who apparently served as a mormon missionary.

Tyler Glenn

To be fair some of the bands image and lyrics may make their Bishops sit up and take notice but you have to give it up for people that go through life and are open about their beliefs, accepting that they aspire to, if not achieve the standards they believe in. I guess there are those that would say its hypocritical not living everything that you believe, but maybe to some extent or another we are all in that position. Perhaps its more about desire and trying ? Then again perhaps I have them wrong and they go home and wear dark suits and are perfect Mormons. Either way I like that good, bad or indifferent people are not ashamed to admit what they are. Whatever they are.

Neon Trees


In closing you may notice a new little icon in the top right of my blog  
Description
during my research into Neon Trees I came across a blog directory of other Mormon blogs and requested a listing. Give it a click you never know what else you may find ??