Friday 11 March 2011

Where is the Love ??

Today I have driven up to the Lake district, Cumbria, Kendal to be precise. Work related I had a damaged water pipe to repair in a church building which in itself wasn't a hard job, but the day did involve a 180mile round trip.
As a consequence I have listened to a lot of radio !!! The main discussion point on the more "wordy" channels, was last nights earthquake in Japan, mixed with a little bit about the current troubles in the Middle East. Just for a little light relief, the news threw in some home news relating to Job cuts and austerity measures  "Work Harder, for Longer, For less" is the new mantra.

It could be easy to get depressed !! So I did some channel hopping to lighten the mood ! Two classic anthems caught my attention which inevitably means turning the volume and bass up high to get maximum effect !

First up....... "You got the Love"  Florence and  the machine 2009



Second up.......   "Where is the Love" Black Eyed Peas 2003



One of the things about driving is you get time to think, what was it about these two songs that had me singing along, Yes they are classics, yes I'm sure crowds at concerts go mad when they strike the first bars, but what makes a hit a hit ? More to the point why are they the 2 songs that stood out to me today. Then I started to think about the lyrics..

You Got the love isn't actually a love song, its not Florence singing to her man...Take a look

Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air
I know I can count on you
Sometimes I feel like saying "Lord I just don't care"
But you've got the love I need To see me through


Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough
And things go wrong no matter what I do
Now and then it seems that life is just too much
But you've got the love I need to see me through


When food is gone you are my daily meal
When friends are gone I know my Savior's love is real
Your love is real

Then in the middle of  "Where is the love" is a plea

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek


Father, Father, Father help us
Send some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love

Now at the risk of offending those who follow this blog and don't have a faith, perhaps their is some inspiration to be gained from the lyrics? Perhaps, just maybe, when we watch the worlds events there is a bigger picture? Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean its not there. I have to say my personal faith does get me through the bad news, in fact with out it, I would be really concerned about the future for me and my kids.