Thursday, 21 April 2011

R is for Royal Wedding


If you don't live in the same "Green and Pleasant" land my family and I do, with rolling hills and red post boxes , (cue music for Jerusalem) you may be forgiven for not knowing we are having a bit of a get together for a wedding a week on Friday. Well I say bit of a get together, my invitation must have got delayed in the post, but I'm sure its on its way. 

The government has kindly decreed a national Holiday, so we can all attend the nuptials, or at least watch them on TV. They have also relaxed the rules, to allow more people to organise street parties, like those we held in June 1977 for Her Majesties Silver Jubilee.


 In reality I don't know of any streets that are getting the trestle tables out and serving bits of pineapple and cheese on cocktail sticks, I'm guessing the public liability insurance is still too much. 
On the whole I think most people will treat it as an extra day at the shops, or an excursion to the beach ? 

But let us not put a dampener on things, Royal weddings are cool, you cant beat a bit of tradition and pomp to pull the nation together. There are also economic benefits, all you lovely tourists for a start! Then there is the merchandise and the Global TV rights. To be fair, how often does the world see a real fairy tale wedding with a Prince and Princess ? 
I am sure a good day will be had by all but its starting to make me feel old , it doesn't seem like 30 years ago (1981) that we were all glued to the screen in the lounge watching Charles and Diana. We only had 3 channels on TV then, I cant remember, but I bet it was on all of them !


Like most families even the Windsor's need some practice, so I leave you now with some exclusive footage of rehearsals for next week, brought to you by the mobile phone giant T-Mobile 


I should thank Dave at American Soda for finding this clip on YouTube and inspiring this post !

Till tomorrow......

16 comments:

mybabyjohn said...

We Canadians are all agog as well.

Darlene said...

I haven't seen too much about it, but then, I don't currently have TV! So, not having TV has its blessings. I remember watching Charles and Di's wedding. Over here, it started at around 4 AM. Yes, I set my alarm and got up to watch it.

Better is Possible said...

I'll be watching on the 29th. It's a pretty exciting time for many of us on the Canadian west coast. Lucky you - a national holiday.

Duckie. said...

It's making you feel old!! how do you think its making me feel I was at a street party for the coronation!!
That must have been before the health and safety rules and regulations began to get stupid and let the insurance and law people get a toe hold in the door with compensation claims like in the states.
Grumpy old git.

Tundiel said...

I was 5 when Charls and Di married, and I can remember the street party that we had. I don't remember the details, but I rememeber having a great day.

No street parties around here at this time around, though. And I'll be at work when the hoo-ha begins.

Crystal Pistol said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see all the details. I WISH I could be tourist in England right now. I'm jealous of all those loud, obnoxious Americans in sneakers and knee shorts. :) Would that I were one of them.

sam said...

Some of the stuff that they have brought out as gifts seems a bit over the top but its nice of them to give us a day off, even if I don't work as I'm off for easter break. Although, to be honest I'm not really that excited for it all.

Cathy said...

I remember getting up at the crack of dawn to watch Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding (that 5 hour time difference can be a killer). I'm not sure I'll do the same this time around ... I'm feeling very old all of a sudden ... where did 30 years go?

Empty Nest Insider said...

At least this time we have the option of taping or setting the DVR so we don't have to stay up all night! I had heard about the video, but had only seen bits of it. Thanks so much for posting it! I can't believe how real the actors looked! Julie

Zoanna said...

Can't believe it's been 30 years. I was babysitting in my teens. Wow.
Good choice for an "R" post, especially with that hilarious video ending.

nutschell said...

it's going to be crazy in London, I hear. Well everybody loves a good wedding--and a fairytale one at that.
Great meeting you through the A-Z!

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Nicole Mc said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos...since that's my thing.

The Camilla in that video is a dead ringer!! Hilarious!

Ruthie said...

I didn't want to comment and boost up your numbers as you won't comment on my blog but I couldn't resist!!!! The video is fantastic!

Jennee said...

Part of me wants to watch it just because it's not very often that I can "attend" a Royal Wedding. But then I figure I might have the chance again in another 30 years.

public liability insurance quote said...

The post is very nicely written and it contains many useful facts. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement. Thanks for sharing with us.

Umair Ahmed said...

HopALot Hobbit 2007

hey that's really a great post and i like this and thanks for sharing it with us!I have read a few of the articles on your website now because I was looking for information aboutgames App. and I really like your style of blogging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...