Friday 29 April 2011

Y is for YouTube

I have to say, I think YouTube is fascinating, and couldn't let Y go without mentioning it! This is a modified repost of one I made 2 months ago, titled "Getting noticed on YouTube" but I have spent a fair bit of time creating a new video added at the end, so skip there if you have read the first bit before.


Just out of interest I have left the viewing figures that were correct at the time of the original posting and just crossed them out, today's figures are added to show what a difference 2 months can make !

I've had an account with YouTube since November 2006 and as part of my model making hobby I have been uploading videos ever since.
In the 4+ years, I have created and uploaded 153 155 videos and collectively they have had 493,396 538,735views. But of them all, one video stands out head and shoulders above the rest for audience pulling power, with a whopping 255,292 288,501 views. 


My brother-in-law (who doesn't share an interest in my hobby) did suggest the video had been watched by several thousand sad individuals OR it has been watched by ONE VERY SAD individual several thousand times !!!

Now as much as I enjoy my hobby, I don't take it seriously enough to imagine small plastic trains hold that much of an attraction to thousands of people, so I did some delving into the YouTube insight statistics.
It would seem this video is most popular amongst middle aged men, in Asia, who found it searching Google.

Not convinced that Model Railways are the biggest hobby in the Asian continent, I decided to type "first night video" into Google.co.in and on YouTube search.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!! 

It turns out that the term "first night" has a bit of an adult theme particularly on the Asian Google  !! So I would imagine that most of my 288 thousand plus watchers, were somewhat disappointed with what they found.

Of course this could be considered a disappointment for me,
but there is a twist.... I get the last laugh....
Because of the videos popularity I was approached by TrackoneRecordings who asked if I would accept £50 to use YouTube's audio swap function to promote one of their songs !!!!
So for all you middle aged guys out there, that felt you had been let down by what you found... THANKS.... I probably enjoyed spending the cash more than you enjoyed watching my video.....................

NEW SECTION !
So as not to be a complete cheat, I have created a new YouTube video to go with this post.  "A day with RJR Daydreamer" to mark the occasion. If you haven't been to England here is your chance to see a little bit round the Manchester Area.