Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Ship ahoy

I don't think I have mentioned before, but I'm not a lover of boats. that's not for any other reason than having bad memories of an overnight ferry from the UK to Jersey (Channel Islands) as a youth on a school trip. It was an horrendous 8 hours, with rough seas and a lesson in why the toilet doors had frames across the bottom in true bulkhead fashion, to stop the puke swilling out when EVERY one on board gets sea sick.

As a consequence I avoid boats at all costs, now this does cause a problem on the holiday front, the UK is a relatively small island and if you want to "go abroad" on vacation you either need a plane or a boat. What makes the problem worse is Mrs RJR doesn't like planes !!! This as you can imagine means a lot of UK holidays.

So why the picture of the boat, well I'm not on UK mainland as I type this, I'm in a Bed and Breakfast on the Isle of Man about 70 miles off the shores of Liverpool, between England and Ireland. The boat is Manannan, the 5000 tonne, 800 passenger, 200 car ferry that I got travelled on to get here. After a two and a half hour crossing, I'm pleased to report that despite the force 5 "breeze" the travel sickness tablets I took worked perfectly.

I spent the day yesterday at a church in Liverpool setting up video conference equipment and have travelled to the Isle of Man to set up the same facilities in the church here. The idea being, to reduce the amount of travelling church members have to make to speak to Priesthood leaders on the mainland.

A couple of Pictures..


I took this first one from the landing dock in Liverpool and is of the Liver building in Liverpool, when I look at it I cant help but see similarities to the Salt Lake Temple


This is the Manannan arriving, it doesn't look very big in this picture, but its 313 feet long.



Just taken this morning, my bedroom has a sea view ( if you stand on a chair and lean out of the window)

Finally, you cant visit the Great British B&B with out thinking of Fawlty Towers...



Your roving reporter, reviewing the isle's of the sea ;)

10 comments:

Duckie. said...

Could be worse mate, could have been up the rigging, same as your daughter last year!
Better than mending toilets though hey.

Duncan D. Horne said...

Fawlty Towers is a classic. My family love it!

I hate boats too, but my avoidance of them stems from a fear of the open seas and not being able to swim
!

Duncan In Kuantan

Bess Weatherby said...

Wow. What a lovely place to go for a work trip! See, I love America, but we just don't have this kind of beauty anywhere. Sighs. I guess I'll just have to settle for Cacti and buildings . . .

Jenny said...

There just isn't enough time in my life to see all of the things in the UK that I want to see!!! Planning a trip over summer after next and I keep seeing things I want to add to my trip. At this point I think I'll be there for ... oh, a year or two. ;) Seriously, how will I fit everything into just 2 weeks?! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Faulty Towers was an awesome show! I can handle boats, just not planes.

Michelle Teacress said...

I'm glad the pills worked. As a girl, I got motion sickness all the time, and it's a relief to have help now that I'm older - too bad I fall asleep when I take them!

Julie said...

I get terrible motion sickness, I can so relate to that. Glad the pills worked for you!

Wonderful pictures, I love the sea view.

Plain Jane said...

I have never seemed to learn that I don't like boats. I get sick every time, but even today I told my husband we can't get a small truck because how will it ever pull a boat if we should buy one.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Now there are so many options out there to combat sea sickness; from pills to patches to hypnotherapy. I always got sick when I was younger, but a few years ago I took some over the counter medicine and felt much better. It sounds like a rom-com between you not liking boats, and your wife's aversion to planes! Julie

Auto Title Loans said...

You and I are both not a fan of boats. I get sick even stepping into one! And after watching the Titanic, I never want to use one as a form of travel; I'm afraid of water I can't see the bottom of. Glad to see you made it in one piece. Who knows, maybe your next adventure will be by plane!

Ava

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...