Saturday 25 June 2011

Media Mayhem SONGS

Day one of the Media Mayhem weekend is to pick 3 favourite songs. They don't have to be THE most favourite songs, because that would be impossible to choose!!

I thought this would be easy, but after getting up to a list of about 20, then finding videos for about 8, I finally decided on 3.


Beyonce Irreplaceable was in the list, I just love the video and her non-nonsense, sort that man attitude.
Sinead O'connor came close with Nothing compares to you for its raw emotion.
Daniel Beddingfield nearly made it with If your not the one because it touches my soul.
The list could  could go on and on...

So what did I pick.
First up is D:ream a 90s classic, "Things can only get better" I saw it on TV yesterday and its just infectious, you can't sing along and not believe its true. No wonder the Labour party decided to use it as a theme for their 1997 election campaign, perhaps its was why they won after 18 years of Conservative governments ?
The bands keyboard player, Brian Cox, also believes in the songs mantra. He went on to become famous as a Particle Physicist who works on the Large Hadron Collider for CERN and has his own TV show "Wonders of the universe"
Professor Brian has managed to make TV astronomy sexy, where Patrick Moore failed, I can't see why ...

 
So here is Song 1..




Next up has a bit of a star theme too. I would like to think I keep pretty current with my taste in music for a 40 something Dad. (Tinie Tempah nearly made the list) and song two has such clever lyrics..

Can we pretend that airplanes
In the night sky
Are like shooting stars
I could really use a wish right now
A wish right now...

I cant help but think that some of the current rappers are the 'wordsmiths' or Shakespear's of our day. I also like Hayley Williams voice, she is better known as the lead singer of Paramore who sang Deocode from Twilight



Finally for number 3,  I'm going for a big finish. I am not a massive Robbie Williams fan, but there is something hair raising about his anthem "Angels" especially when recorded live at Knebworth. Reputedly the biggest concert set in UK history, Robbie performed a solo concert to 375,000 people over 3 nights. No wonder the crowd of approximately 125,000 in the video can sound so loud.



I could go on with loads of songs but that's not the plan ! I'm off now to visit the other songs in the blog hop. We have just a nice number of participants making it possible to check out them all ! The list is below and if you want to join in at the last minute its not too late ...