Saturday 14 April 2012

M is for Models





M is for Models






From an early age I watched my Dad build Tamiya model kits, I remember an old fashioned Fire Engine, A Formula 1 Race car and an army jeep. Then at an age I can't remember we started building a first train set on a 6' by 4' board on my bedroom floor. That first train set, after time became a much bigger "proper" Model Railway in the spare bedroom of my parents house. Like many youth model making gets forgotten as more popular pastimes take over during high school.

But for many who have been "infected" by the model making bug, at a later point in life a relapse happens. Sometimes having children of your own reignites a desire to build, some are more honest and just take back up a model making hobby for themselves with no excuse.

I came back to model railways 5 or 6 years ago and over that time have tried various different scales and gauges and locations. Last year I had 6 months at the beginning of the year with no interest in model making and the trains in the garden shed laid dormant. In October following the loss of my mother I took up model making again, but for a change I began making Radio Controlled boats. The reason.. my Dad makes boats and it seemed a good way to spend time together. He is also an A-Z blogger HERE

So here are some of my better models and photographs.


 
In the picture above the class 37 loco is out of a box, but is on a scratch built viaduct inspired by Glenfinnan. This picture was taken up on Saddleworth moor to get the background and lighting



(Above) Everyone has 15 minutes of fame and I think Mossley Terrace was mine, it caught a following on several forums and has been to a few exhibitions now. The Rolling stock is Bachmann again with heavily detailed Metcalfe card kits for the terrace housing.

(Below) Mossley was also used by Model Rail magazine when the 153 was released


Next an earlier model, in fact the first "in shed" layout Springhead Junction.
 This layout has just been featured as a paid 3 page spread in a national Model Rail magazine. (Below)


Next up a dock scene from a layout I hoped to exhibit but never did (Below)


The over ridding theme is the better the light the better the picture so I prefer taking pictures outside now !




Having said I like daylight the picture above is a night shot, I liked the water puddles (varnish) spilt from the water tower. I also like the glint of light you can get off the rail tops as below..



Last up my latest model. I bought the fibreglass hull and Action Man from Ebay but everything else is home made mainly from A4 sheets of plastic.


 


It has been said 
 "a model is a toy that is either to expensive, or took to long to make, to allow a child to play with"
that is probably true.

So now you know my indulgence, in time and money.. What is your indulgence.


Family Friendly Blog Included in the Family Friendly Blogger listing ... Click logo for details.