Saturday 24 September 2011

American Soda - Root Beer


Last Saturday I blogged about American Soda. Just as I always do I was there again this morning, dropping Rachel and Jake off for work. I don't always go in when I drop them off as its far too tempting. But I decided this morning, that to day would be the day to make a decision about Mug or A&W Root Beer.
While I waited for the till to warm up, the conversation went something like.

"We don't open til 10 Dad"
"The customer is ALWAYS right !"
"You'r not a customer, your Dad"
"I'm a customer. I'm on this side of the counter with money!"

It was one of those times I was in their world and what little control over them I have, was no longer mine! To be fair they remained courteous under pressure from a stroppy customer (me) who had other places to be.

My purchase? Mug and A&W Root Beer.
The task to finally determine which I prefer the most!

After taking the picture seen above I opened a can of each. First impression, the A&W made much more noise, obviously under more pressure. This confirmed my thought that Mug is not quite as fizzy.
The smell of the A&W despite being quite iconic, does seem a little more artificial. Most non Root Beer fans in the UK would say it smells of Germolene antiseptic cream!


On the other hand the Mug has a similar but softer smell.

When drinking the A&W certainly is the more carbonated of the two. I also think the Mug has a smoother creamier taste. Mrs RJR joined in the tasting too and pretty much agreed with my thoughts, not really a Root Beer fan she can't get passed the "medication" thoughts.

For some facts about Root Beer and its origins (the root of a Sassafras tree) click HERE

Conclusions, well overall despite having been familiar with A&W for longer I have decided I prefer Mug from the two !

So last week I asked what you would miss from the vast range of foodstuffs you can normally get. The question this week. If offered a Mug or an A+W which would you take ??



Family Friendly Blog Included in the Family Friendly Blogger listing ... Click logo for details.