Sunday, 1 May 2011

A-Z Overview


Well its been and gone ! April's A-Z blogging challenge, 26 alphabetical blog posts in 30 days. When I took on the challenge I thought it would be a breeze, after all I had made nearly that many in February... What I didn't count on, was how hard it would be to stick to the letters !


Some days were easy. Some where just so hard ! At one point I managed to get 3 days ahead and that gave me some time to look at other blogs on the participants list. To be fair getting round all 1200 plus bloggers was as much of a challenge as doing the writing, but I did it. I have looked at each of them, some I have decided to follow, some were wonderful but the content was not something I would normally read. I started following lots then discovered I had to refine my "following" criteria as there wasn't enough time to read everything ! I have now got about 20+ blogs I read frequently some daily that I found through the challenge.

During the course of the month I have also been fortunate enough to meet quite a few bloggers that have decided to follow me, to whom I offer my grateful thanks, I hope I continue to write something of interest. In fact my followers have doubled.

When I started this blog, I was looking for a way to express a creative side of me, previously I have done this through building scale models, but I have found it just as satisfying to compose a reasonable quality blog post. My hope has been to share feelings, entertain, raise a smile and even cause food for thought. Call me shallow but appearance and layout are also important and I strive to make things easy on the eye. If I have done any of these at least once during the challenge, I will consider myself to have been successful.

Through reading the blog stats I have been surprised at which posts have been popular. When I wrote "C is for conference centre" I presumed its content too religious to be of interest, but it has been one of the most viewed posts. "R for royal wedding" had average visits until a week later, the day of the wedding it had 600 views !

As a consequence of the challenge, I have also come into contact with Mormon Daddy Bloggers and have become a featured blogger there, which has been wonderful.

I have created a new static page to commemorate the A-Z challenge with an overview of the 26 posts made (contents shown below). This will be found at the top of the blog or HERE and will replace the tabbed page that held the linky-list with all the participants, which will still be available for a time HERE

Hover over for title, click to visit...

Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Description Description Description Description
Again thanks for reading, following and commenting you have been great !


44 comments:

Duncan D. Horne said...

Nice overview. I bet it was a real surprise to see the Conference Centre post receiving lots of attention! Nice one!

Duncan In Kuantan

Mercy a.k.a Rogue said...

Great way of displaying all your A-Z posts at once (you will have to tell me how to do that!) The challenge has finished and still I am finding more blogs that are new to me. I am glad you enjoyed the challenge as much as I did.

Tracy said...

Yes, it certainly has been a challenge and my mother reminded me that I forgot 'x' so I need to do a 'make-up' day for poor 'x'...but it has been fun and it's been great meeting new people I wouldn't ordinarily have met-including you!
PS. I love your profound thought...

Siv Maria said...

* Smiles and winks *

Kristine Asselin said...

Congrats on finishing! It was fun!

Cathy said...

It's been quite the wild ride, hasn't it? Glad to have met you through the challenge.

sam said...

well done on getting around all the blogs, nice little linking system there too, I like it.

Arlee Bird said...

I too like that "static page" -- very cool.

You have expressed things well and I hope to see many more reflections like yours.

Thank you for being a part of the Challenge.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

This is a beautifully written summary of the 26 day challenge. I had a similar experience with followers and following.
Karen

Plain Jane said...

You made a visit to all 1200 bloggers???? Incredible. I was lucky to visit the super cool people who found me and commented.

And, I like your stats and A to Z review. Neato.

baygirl32 said...

I didn't get to all 1200 bloggers, called it quits shortly after 1000 love how you did the review page (I'm not that crafty)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wasn't challenged by the letters so much as visiting everyone. Last year, it was easy, as there was only one hundred of us. This year, not so much!
Glad you participated!

Nicole said...

I agree with Alex, in fact, I had more posts for the letters than room to publish them so I have some leftover posts that I will be publishing this month as regular blog posts, since I only wanted to select one idea or subject for each letter.

It is the visiting and reading of so many blogs that I am still moving through, that is the real challenge, but it's a fun way to discover new blogs.

The Madlab Post

Paula Martin said...

I managed the A-Z letters okay, but didn't get round to as many blogs as I would have liked. Am trying to catch up with some now - and you're the nearest (geographically speaking) as I live in Urmston!

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Hello to my new friend across the pond! So glad you stumbled across my blog, and I could return the favor.

It would appear that we both started about the same time, for similar reasons. Stay in touch and keep up the good work!

Nate Wilson said...

Scale models can be fun, but I'm glad you chose to branch out and share so much of yourself during the Challenge. It was great to get to know you, and of course I always appreciate someone whose sense of humor coincides with my own. Congrats on getting through in one piece!

J.L. Campbell said...

Cool idea to compile your A-Z posts in one place.

Better is Possible said...

Hooray! Success! It's done! I've enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for all your comments. Talk to you again!

Darlene said...

I like your overview. I'm impressed that you visited 1200 bloggers! Actually, I'm in awe! It was all I could do to post and visit those who commented.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

We did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

Empty Nest Insider said...

An excellent summary of the A-Z experience! I'm impressed that you were able to read entries from all of the bloggers! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments, and I look forward to seeing more of you! Julie

mooderino said...

Nice blog, love the static page.

mood
Moody Writing

Michael Di Gesu said...

Congrats on making it though. It looks like you had fun and were creative with your posts.

I wish I had gotten through more blogs, but today I will at least get to everyone on the overview list....

Ella said...

Happy for you; sounds like a wonderful experience~ Congrats!

Gregg said...

Great overview!


Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29

Gospel-driven Disciples

Jan Morrison said...

Excellent overview and I agree on many points. I didn't get around to nearly everyone and I'm gobsmacked that you did! Wowza. I'm just going to continue to pick through as I can - answering comments and meeting even more new folks. Like you!

Crystal Pistol said...

I've enjoyed reading your posts from A-Z. It's always nice to make new friends!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi John - good to meet you .. and as you're up north - hopefully we'll meet up occasionally ..

If I'm reading you got all round - all I can say is CONGRATULATIONS ... amazing!

I shall whizz through at some stage - but I like the way you've set your posts out .. that's fun!

It seems like you've created something unique for the Review .. and as you're first - I'm sure you'll get loads of extra hits, follows, subscribes ..

Good to meet you and see you around .. cheers Hilary

The Golden Eagle said...

Wow. It's amazing that you made it around to everyone! Those are a lot of blogs.

I love the way you gathered together all of your posts.

San said...

Congrats to you for participating and for making it through. LOVE your static pages too :) ...and KUDOS for making it to everyone on the list. That's a HUGE accomplishsment.

So lovely to meet you :) Your blog looks great and now I must go see about that C post. Nice intrigue :)

Cheers :)

Graywolfie said...

Congrats for completing the challenge..
Great review..!
I didn't manage to visit your blog during the challenge..will be reading some of your post now..

Tim Riley said...

Enjoyed your review, and the static page is awesome.

Josh Hoyt said...

Great job congrats on making it. Im looking forward to the bloghop.

Ruthie said...

34!!!!! Congrats daddy, for finishing and for that amount of comments. OK i finally except it..... no one look... you win.

Julie said...

I love the static page, great idea! Really enjoyed reading your summary, and I'm glad I found your blog.

Jennifer Shirk said...

well, I finished the challenge too but I must have done a poor job keeping up because I just found your blog now! (thru the blog hop) LOL

Stephen Tremp said...

I never made over to your blog during the challenge but its good to meet you now. Congrats! on finishing and I'm already looking forward to next year.

N4M3L3SS said...

+1 follower cool blog

Mom said...

That sounds like a fun idea...too bad I missed it.
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com

Anne-Marie said...

Hi John.....well, I never!....you're my second male follower....first was son-in-law Ian Greathead but he's just bein' sarky, lol!
Ruth definitely has a talent, and I'd love to get her involved with some Design Teams, and challenges.
Love your musings....count me in!

walk2write said...

I'm sorry I missed visiting you during the Challenge but better late than never. Great blog!

Grandpa said...

Hi I didn't come across your blog during the Challenge, now I'm starting on the Reflections and you are top of the list!
Great review, and I like that static page. Congrats for finishing!

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

jabblog said...

'Well done' sounds so feeble but well done anyway. It's true that not all blogs will appeal to all bloggers but it's interesting nonetheless to visit blogs one would never normally encounter.

Tina said...

This challenge challenged me! I'm working with Shannon Lawrence to continue this road and have as many as would like to participate make a pledge to visit all the reflection posts,
Tina @ Life is Good

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...